Friday 19 February 2010

Black Magic Woman...


Raven hair and ruby lips...
-The Eagles

This morning I woke early to find a dusting of snow covering my world; still and beautiful, a blank day waiting to be filled. I've filled it, as always, with tea, with stitches in red; silk on velvet, drifts of paper and books; piled high and fluttering, and wish bones; delicate, white and chalky. I'm slowly reforming the old stories and isn't that how all the best tales begin; a needle and thread, red on snow, bones wrapped in silk and a wish... A spell cast without intent, woven with thread, weather and blood; and so it is that beauty is conjured, raven black, blood red and as white as that snow, and no good ever comes of it; the boys turn into birds and disappear over those woods, the girls choke on apples and are set in glass, those red paths are tricky to follow and anything made with blood and bone always comes with a price...

Today I love cups, heat held in both hands, and toast with raspberry jam. I love the snow but I love that sense of spring. I love daylight; cold and golden, and filtered through vines and glass, I love cake and keys and as always I can't stand thoughtless impatience. Today the woman I am wears red silk shoes, she makes hot chocolate as dark as night and can trace those red maps, she's fought for who she is, she now loves that song and she'll never be cadged...

2 comments:

Danny said...

I knew you loved it really! Glad to see you posting again we've been checking often. You'd love the snow here, we'll see you soon, keep writing and no apples!

Anonymous said...

my dear siobhan... you are so beautiful.