Sunday 23 November 2008

Stone and Lace...


"And have you any dreams you'd like to sell;
Dreams of your loneliness, like a heartbeat drives you mad
In the stillness of remembering what you had,
And what you lost..."
-Dreams, Fleetwood Mac.

I haven't posted in a long time, I've been thinking a lot about my work recently; how it exists. I've been trying to move the narratives into tangible objects, attempting to make the ethereal visible...

I have discovered that this is more difficult to do in the imposed white spaces of the university studios, in the heart of the city in the old co-op with its deco staircases, warehouse sized spaces and antique, all but destroyed, ballroom. The old has been stripped from these places, the quiet ripped out or painted over, the old building faces one of glass and steel. The road becomes motorway right outside our door. Nothing is still.

I want to create some sense of quiet, like a pause in time. A stillness that only exists when time becomes slow and even light seems to hang in the air...

My work exists in the quiet places of this world, and bringing that into the studio and consequently gallery is going to be my main challenge...

No comments: